Sunday, July 13, 2014

Blog 3: Knowledge and Belief

From as long as I can remember, I was raised and taught to follow the values of Jesus Christ. He created all things and was the guarantee for a better covenant with life. I would attend church at least once a month and my family would read the novela every Christmas. For 9 days, we would recite God and Virgin Mary’s journey that they took until their son, Jesus, was born. My family and I would sing songs every night in celebration for his rebirth on Christmas Eve. I never challenged this belief since I had no other religions or theories taught to me.
However, I was introduced to the scientific theory of evolution in the 6th grade. It explains the emergence of life in the past and in the present. Evolution shows the similarities and differences among living things since the beginning of age and different biological processes such as natural selection, gene transfer, and mutation. It has been consistently confirmed by scientific evidence for several years now. Not only is their proof of the existence of evolution, but it also has a crucial importance in the conceptual building blocks of modern life and earth sciences. 
After learning about this credible scientific theory, I began to question myself if Jesus Christ was the creator of Earth. I still believe and have faith in Jesus Christ but the creation of the world by his hands is not well supported. On the other hand, evolution has credibility and scientific facts on how Earth made. Did one man, Jesus Christ, create all things?

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to see that you have kept an open mind when approaching the scientific aspect. My experiences with creationists and the religious when implying and not even saying evolution is that they quickly and completely reject the idea with a disgusted look on their face. I can relate, also, to the family's recitation of the novela. I never had to say it, but it is the prayer of choice for an Italian family which it sounds like you come from.

    ReplyDelete